Saturday, December 1, 2018

How to lay and set up fibre optic internet?

I live in a rural part of the UK, and at my house we rarely get speeds above 1mbps. Right now I'm getting 0.58mbps.

Some houses near us are able to get fibre optic internet, but not us, as for some reason our house is connected to a different cabinet that only has copper wire going to it, and it doesn't look like there are any plans to upgrade anytime soon. It's really frustrating because it takes so long to do anything with such a slow connection.

I've heard of satellite internet, but it doesn't sound ideal either.

I read about the B4RN project a while ago, where a community got together and laid down their own fibre optic cables directly to their houses, and created their own ISP, which got me thinking about this.

However, I know very little on the subject and don't really know where to begin. I've done some reading online but so far it's hard to put it all together. So, could anyone advise me on where to begin with something like this? We have access to farming equipment, but I don't even know whether it would be easier to lay cables underground or overhead. Additionally, fibre optic cables wouldn't actually be necessary, since the other cabinet near me has fibre optic, if we could just get copper wire from it to our house it would suffice, but if we were going to do this, would it be as easy to install fibre optic? And would we even need to go as far as the cabinet - my neighbor a few hundred yards down the road gets 20mbps - would it be possible to just connect to the copper cable at his house?

I'm a newbie to most of this stuff, and I realise it's probably really expensive and likely impossible for me, but I'd appreciate any info or advice on where to start reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment