Saturday, December 15, 2018

Configuring a /30 WAN to a /29 public block

Employer is moving their office building and the ISP for the new building did not install any kind of router, just a fiber to ethernet handoff. They supplied us with a /30 (public) "WAN" block and also a /29 (also public) IP block. I've never come across this kind of configuration before but, after some cursory googling, understand it's becoming more common. I'm struggling to get this going. Our current setup looks like:

L3 HP Switch in front of 2 Meraki Security Devices.

The goal is to split the connection into both security devices for hardware redundancy purposes. I'm struggling to even just get the internet up and operating across 1 security device. I have tested the WAN IP configuration from my laptop and can verify it is working.

What I'm unsure of is if the L3 switch can handle that kind of routing (I understand L3 switches are basically routers)? I've been trying different configurations of VLANs, VLAN Interfaces and static routes but, I'm unfamiliar with HP switches (frankly their web interface kind of sucks but, you have to configure through the web gui since the CLI is basically just for recovering a login or changing just a few basic things).

Can someone help me make sense of what needs to happen? I have so far, created 2 VLANs, assigned those to 2 VLAN interfaces.

Do I need to assign those VLANs to ports (I was thinking the VLAN that handles the WAN IP needs to be assigned to one port and then the other VLAN & it's VLAN interface needs to be assigned to a different port)? And then what should my static routes look like? I was figuring I needed to setup a static route that forwards traffic on the incoming WAN to the public IP block and then setup the reverse of that route (public block back to WAN interface)?

Hopefully someone can help a lost guy. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment