Thursday, December 13, 2018

Bridge a Level 3 Network Device to a Level 2 Device

I maintain a Wireguard VPN which lives on subnet 10.0.0.0/24. I want to add a Qemu Virtual machine to that subnet. The hypervisor has IP 10.0.0.2 and I want the guest to have 10.0.0.3. I already have it configured so traffic to 10.0.0.3 will go to the hypervisor, but I am a bit unsure how to route it. I need this interface managed by the hypervisor because the guest does not support this protocol.

I am thinking the best way to do this is to create a bridge connected to the guest; however, would the bridge get an IP? It has to right? Typically I'd set the device to be a part of the bridge, giving the original device no IP, then set the hypervisor IP on the bridge, but I don't believe that is possible with a Level 3 Network device such as Wireguard.

I've been doing routing via UFW. Hypervisor OS is Linux. Guest OS is Windows.



No comments:

Post a Comment