Saturday, December 22, 2018

Best way to monitor Home Wifi data usage?

Hey I am noticing an uptick in my home data usage over the course of 3 months, and would like to obtain data usage by MAC address or IP address over time to understand which device is the culprit. My router is the Asus RT-N66U and the monitoring features are only for real time, last 24hrs, and last 7 days (which only gives me total numbers). So far the only good option is the last 24hrs as I can see what network (wired, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz) is using data and by how much and it even integrates the data over the 24hrs which is nice, but i want to know more i want to know at least 7 days of data and by MAC address.

I have researched and found out that DD-WRT is a good firmware for my router that has some level of built in analytics, however this, to me, would be the last resort (I fear it may be my only option for now given all the research i have done) as i have to flash my router and to flash my router for just this feature is a bit much so far. I haven't decided how much i am willing to do to get this data.

I am currently under the microscope by AT&T in that they are threatning to charge me an additional $10 month per 50GB i go over. Right now this month i am at 1024 GB so far and counting as i have another 7 days left in my cycle.

TL;DR

Using too much data, any suggestions on software to monitor my data usage by MAC Address for my whole network? (Roku, Apple TV, phones, Sonos, etc.)



No comments:

Post a Comment