Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Anyone ever work with a Netapp cluster switch?

My storage guys came to me today because they are looking to hook up some Netapp nodes together. Netapp makes it seem like you have to use their specific switch, which are a few different Nexus switches that are loaded with Netapp specific firmware.

Now my first thought is skepticism. From what I gathered it's just to be 100% sure you have the right hardware so you can't complain about data loss or anything.

However, I don't exactly see any reason I can't use some of the Nexus 5548s I have sitting in stock. I can't find any reasoning given by Netapp of what is different, and why you need their firmware etc instead of just taking a 10gb switch, set to jumbo, and just sticking them on there with open trunk ports.

Anyone have experience in this able to enlighten me?



No comments:

Post a Comment