Friday, November 2, 2018

WMM (802.11e) woes

I've been trying to debug an home network issue that has proven itself beyond my troubleshooting skills. Perhaps someone here with better knowledge about networking than myself can provide some insight on what might be happening...?

Here's the thing: I have a WRT1900ACS router (running OpenWRT) where connected clients experience very slow upload speeds (around 2 Mbps) on both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios when WMM is on. However, if I put my ISP-provided router/modem doing NAT anywhere beyond the WRT1900ACS's WAN port, the problem goes away.

I've done a lot of packet captures and my eyes are bleeding from looking at Wireshark and, so far, I've been unable to identify anything that might possible cause this. My knowledge of WMM (what triggers it, and if it can trigger anything else on the network) is short, and that's an understatement.

This diagram make it clear (I think): https://i.imgur.com/LIVtSGn.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment