Wednesday, November 28, 2018

What's happening when you access 0.0.0.0 via the browser?

When using it locally, it behaves like localhost, so if I have a server is listening on port 80, so localhost:80, 127.0.0.1:80, and 0.0.0.0:80 all end up behaving the same.

My question is, since 0.0.0.0 is the meta address for "all networks" (EDIT, I meant all ip addresses known to the current machine my bad), is it trying to access port 80 on every network, getting a response from 127.0.0.1:80, and using that? Why is this not interacting with every other host ip on my immediate network? or is it, but i'm just not seeing that interaction?

My understanding is that if you ping 0.0.0.0, it would be the same as pinging the broadcast address for your network, so im confused how this works when accessing a single port to connect to a host through a browser



No comments:

Post a Comment