Wednesday, November 7, 2018

rj11 to rj45 back to rj11

Hey Reddit,

Background:

I hope this is the right place for this but I recently started a new job in which they had an IT guy who quit and is no longer in contact with the company. They have a fax mach that isnt working (for who knows how long) and I have been tasked to fix it. I used a tone to find where it goes to and found the block/modem.

The problem:

From what I see this is how the cable goes, modem cat6 stripped down to blue/bluewhite to a block, from the block it splits into 3 cables 2 plugged into nothing 1 spliced to a splitter (https://imgur.com/a/M0vj8ZH). From this device it goes to a rj11 into the ceiling. from the ceiling I dont know where it goes but the tone of the final destination is an rj45 jack (https://imgur.com/a/K5J4xlL). I can hear the tone through the phone line but I do not get a dial tone. I have tried a few different wirings on the destination with no luck.

Other info:

I get a dial tone plugged into the modem, I get a dial tone plugged into the splitter device, I do not get a dial tone from the wall jack but I can tone the whole way through.



No comments:

Post a Comment