Thursday, November 29, 2018

Recommend an IPAM

I see there are a multitude of options for IPAMs out there. I have a specific use case that I'm having some trouble finding a solution. Maybe you all can give me a head start rather than downloading and trying out a bunch?

I have over 70 sites that are small SMB Networks. Most subnets are /24s with a small handful of /22s. In these networks I have standardized DHCP Ranges and Static Ranges. The DHCP ranges are for your standard laptops, PCs, Phones. If the device requires and Static Address, the PC technicians in that area know to just use the Static Ranges. To know if the IP is free, they just ping out and see if it is free. This worked out well for a while but as we had large growth the past few years, we're seeing conflicts in the Static Ranges and sometimes the static ranges are getting full and we're not realizing it.

Here are some features I am looking for:

- We put all the subnets in and it pings out to just see if the address is taken currently and shows last seen.
- Addresses can be reserved, notes applied, roles maybe?- Show percentage of used addresses
- Permissions can be set by either Site or Subnet (maybe by tags or something)

Not sure if something like this exists. I tried out Netbox for a bit but I realized it's all manual input. I'm not really wanting to completely rely on the manual entry.



No comments:

Post a Comment