Friday, November 23, 2018

Networks for Software Engineers

Hi everyone. I'm a reasonably experienced software engineer (10+ yoe) and am trying to build up some Network chops.

I'm pretty comfortable with IP (v4), TCP, and the higher level protocols like TLS, HTTP, etc. because that's where I normally write software. I'm OK with iptables, and troubleshooting high level problems (things gleaned from ping or telnet or Wireshark).

Discussions of IPv6, routing tables, routers, switches, ICRs, BGP, etc. are over my head (at least the speed of these in verbal conversation is tough) but I need to learn these for work.

What are some good resources I can check out to fill in these gaps? A coworker suggested starting with the Network+ cert books - not to get a cert, but to learn some fundamentals.

I've also never logged into a router or hardware load balancer, but I need to for devops type work. We have Citrix netscalers, F5 Big IPs, and Arista and Junipers routers. What are good resources to learn these? Are there commandline emulators? Or cert paths to study?



No comments:

Post a Comment