Friday, November 9, 2018

Issue using Ubiquiti DHCP with Windows 2016 DNS and Domain

I hope this is not too amateurish of a question, but I am out of my depth in a big way... I have the unfortunate luck of being the "computer guy" at my church who they call for fixing stuff. I have a technical background so usually I can muddle my way through new issues, but this week their server took a massive dump and basically stopped working entirely. It still boots but it has major problems (NICs won't connect, power supply failure, hangs on boot or most services won't start) and it's server 2003.

Someone donated a new server and licenses for Microsoft Server 2016. I made the server a Hyper-V host with a VM for DNS/domain, one for file sharing, and one for networked programs. I created a new domain and dns server.

I recently replaced all the network hardware with Ubiquiti devices (USG Pro 4, Cloud Key, AP AC Pros, 48 Port POE and one 48 Port non-POE in the mdf room with the server).

My issue is that the DHCP is being handled by the Ubiquiti stuff, but it does not see the domain (e.g. devices handled by DHCP cannot ping it). The previous server handled this by the old "IT guy" statically assigning the DNS for every device on the domain. I know that this is probably not best practice.

Is there a way to get my DHCP assignments by Ubiquiti to use the domain DNS? Would it be substantially better to use the DNS server to handle DHCP instead of the Ubiquiti device?

My reluctance to move DHCP to the server is that I really like the statistics and ease of using the Ubiquiti gui. The deep packet inspection, etc. Windows I am not as familiar with...

I hope this made sense. Thanks for the help!



No comments:

Post a Comment