Thursday, November 8, 2018

How to setup a small-to-medium office network

Hi

Our company has ~11 Windows computers in the office and we're using the traditional Windows Home network with file and printer sharing. Its a mess. Some PCs have Windows 10, others Windows 7. Half the time User A can't access User C's hard drive or folder. Next day User D can't access User E's location. Next day Users A and G can't access Printer B.

I'm the designated "IT guy" and they always call me to fix these issues. No matter what I try - using correct IP addresses, the same workgroup, sharing settings, something always doesn't work right. Everyone else in the company are total IT layman and probably don't even know what kind of a mess they are in.

I'm wondering what would be a proper way to set up a network like this from the ground-up? Should we get a server, to host all the files and manage permissions? If yes, how would that work, how to connect everything properly?

I have plenty of experience with computers, but I'm no system engineer. Could I handle this, or should we call in a professional company?

I'm also thinking we should get some kind of a CMS, because right now all company data and files are fragmented between different employee computers and their hard drives. There is no central access place, no backups, no organization except on user-level. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment