Friday, November 9, 2018

How do I wire my house with CAT5? Please help

I'm 17 but my parents are expecting me to do everything because my brother does networking stuff in the Air Force and I think I know more than the average teenager. The cables are all connected to ports around the house and lead back to a little room in my parent's closet. The CAT5 cables are exposed so I've had to put on the ends and do all the crimping and what not. From what I've learned, I need to either do a straight-through or crossover. I've done both but neither worked (maybe I wasn't doing it right). I also noticed that there are more wires than ports in the house. Also, to connect the router to everything, I plugged it into the CAT5 port in the wall. Is that right? I have a network switch in the room with all the wires but it never detected a signal. Sorry for all the information and questions. My next step is to FaceTime my brother and try to figure it out. I'm thinking we need to hire a professional but my parents don't want to because the Wi-Fi is fast enough. I want it because my gaming PC doesn't have Wi-Fi capability and I don't want to buy an adapter. Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment