Thursday, November 1, 2018

Homeowner Modem Connection

New homeowner question - I have a coaxial cable coming in from outside to the basement in a older home. From there, the cable hits a 2:1 splitter, travels about 20 ft and hits a 4 way splitter. I’m only planning on plugging in my modem on the first floor using the pre existing cable popping up out of the floor and don’t plan on connecting any of the other cables and using those lines. I plan on using a hard line tied into the modem for my tv and Hulu live, but the coaxial cable won’t be plugged in anywhere else.

My question - does a splitter diminish the quality of the line going into the router or if lines aren’t being utilized do they just act as couplers? I don’t want to have to fish a new long cable through my basement rooms and into the first floor when I can possibly just use the current line. Should I disconnect all the other cables going into the splitter despite them not being used at all? Just looking on how I can get the best connection to my modem without seeing diminished results.



No comments:

Post a Comment