Wednesday, November 28, 2018

First Jr Network/Cloud Engineer job

Cross-posted to r/ccna

First, I want to say thank you to everyone on this sub for the motivation. Seeing everyone getting CCNA certified pushed me to learn as much as I could. I'm not CCNA certified yet but will be soon.

Second, I failed the "technical" part of the interview when they asked me to configure a basic network with OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, VPN Tunnels, and everything else that we are required to know; however, I did demonstrate that I could follow direction and that I had the willingness to learn and not give up when things got hard.

Some background on my experience: Start by pulling cable and building out physical network infrastructure, moved to a management position doing this but was not satisfied at this level. Took a pay cut to go and learn more of the "general" IT stuff as in System Administrative work. After a few months of dealing with customers that self-determined the universe revolved around them, I knew it was time to pursue my passion; Networking. Took a few classes from the local college and got CCENT certified along with some other networking related certs. The company did mention that the CCENT wasn't anything great but it did show I was determined.

Hope this gives you guys/gals some motivation to get up and do it. If a person starting from working construction/pulling cable can move to a networking position, so can you.

Feel free to ask questions If you have any!



No comments:

Post a Comment