Saturday, November 10, 2018

Feedback on our Ubiquity Set-up and Advice [Crosspost]

Original: https://www.reddit.com/r/ubiquity/comments/9vzw52/feedback_on_our_ubiquity_setup_and_advice/?

We're a wireless only office.

The Wi-Fi went down at a major event at work. Apparently it dropped to a crawl earlier in the day before it went down.

I wasn't there that day, so I didn't know what was going on and felt terribly. Why? I had just made changes to our wireless network to improve things.

Last month people we're complaining about wireless performance in a customer service area. All the AP's had high utilization.

3/4 of the AP's were AC-Pro's. I upgraded them to HD's.

People were happy for a while, but then started complaining again.

I saw all of them to have high utilization. So I turned off 2.4, but turned it back on again as people were on 5ghz anyways, and the Raspberry Pi's needed 2.4ghz.

So for all 4 aps in the area, I moved to their own 5ghz channel, far away from each other. I then dropped the transmit power to -14Db as a quick site survey (software on my laptop) showed the radios were interfering with each other.

I then enabled RSSI, and dropped the limit to anywhere between -65 to -50. Some APs were only 8-10 feet away from each other. For these I dropped them to -50.

My reasoning for this is people were connecting to one AP, and no matter how busy it got, or how poor the connection quality go, they weren't always flipping over to the nearest AP. Once I enabled the RSSI setting and tweaked it, people's laptops were doing this.

On Thursday, the CEO told me he had bad Wi-Fi. I pinged his laptop, and packets had high latency and were constantly dropping out. No matter what I did, his laptop wouldn't connect to the AP right outside his door. He would only connect to an AP 25ft away at 64% signal quality at -68Db.

To make him happy, I cranked the transmit power of that AP to 22 and raised the RSSI limit to -75. After monitoring his laptop throughout the day, he was able to connect OK.

No-one else in the area was complaining of wireless issues, and all the AP's were on their own channels, with low transmit power (14, can't go below) with a very strict RSSI policy (-50-65) to force people to load balance between APs.

Everything looked fantastic when I went home on Thursday. Did I goof up? My co-worker said there was saturation and one of the AP's went down. I felt terrible because I was making wireless changes to improve things! The auto settings on the AP's weren't really working, so I felt compelled to manually change them. Things seemed to work, but now I'm not so sure.

Did I go wrong anywhere?

tl;dr -- Sorry for the wall of text.



No comments:

Post a Comment