Saturday, November 17, 2018

Data Center Move - Order of operations and best practices

Hi and thanks in advance for ANY help or recommendations!

I've been tasked with forming a plan for moving our network devices from one data center to a new data center across town.

I've already ensured the new data center circuits have been turned up and tested (BER tests), so I'm not too concerned with that part. I'm more focused on exactly what order I should power down and then power up the network equipment, and any gotchas or caveats I should look out for.

I have a relatively straightforward network, I just want another set of eyes for a sanity check as the applications and databases that we host have a LOT of moving pieces and many other people/departments will be waiting on me to bring up the network.

Quick network sketch

My initial plan was...

  • Power down 'B' side starting with Fex
  • Fabric Interconnect
  • N5k-b
  • ASA-b
  • MPLS router

Then power down the 'A' side in the same order...

  • Fex-a
  • Fabric Interconnect-a
  • N5k-a
  • ASA-a
  • internet router

At this point I'd move everything to the new data center and power up in reverse order...

  • 'A' side internet router, ASA, n5k, etc...
  • 'B' side MPLS router, ASA, n5k, etc...

Reading more about the VPC active-active scenario between the 5ks has me second guessing my plan. Is there a better approach that I'm not thinking of?



No comments:

Post a Comment