Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Concurrent up/down speed tests?

I'm switching ISPs next week and the new ISP warned me that even though their gigabit fiber links are symmetrical they do not have the ability to offer concurrent symmetrical gigabit speeds. This is the first time I've heard of it so I'm wondering how I can test this.

I currently have symmetrical gigabit fiber with CenturyLink and I'm not sure whether they support concurrent symmetrical gigabit speeds. Every speed test I can find will test download first, pause, then test upload.

How common is it to have concurrent symmetrical gigabit fiber in the US?

Short of starting one speed test, waiting for it to start testing upload speeds, then kicking off another speed test at the same time, are there any speed test sites that can perform upload/download tests concurrently at gigabit speeds? I know I could roll my own iperf solution, but I don't have another endpoint to test the connection from.



No comments:

Post a Comment