Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Can I get some SNMP help from those of you running Dell N series switches & OpenManage Enterprise 3?

I am trying to better manage several Dell N3048P switches and PowerEdge servers. I've just set up Dell OpenManage Enterprise 3 (which looks far better than the previous OM Essentials) and I've added my switches and some servers in order to gather data and monitor and get alerts, etc. I do have device data and some alerts coming in, so, SNMP is set up at least partially correctly.

 

The issue I am having is that I don't seem to be getting all the data I would expect with the switches. For example, Dell OpenManage Enterprise is showing my switches with their IPs, MACs, and a few hostnames (not all) but there is other information that is missing. It's been hours, so I don't think it's a matter of waiting for the logs to come in.

 

Additionally, I have one switch added that is throwing hundreds of these critical alerts but I can't quite make sense of what it actually means:

"An authenticaionFailure trap signifies that the SNMP entity has received a protocol message that is not properly authenticated. While all implementations of SNMP entities MAY be capable of generating this trap, the snmpEnableAuthenTraps object indicates whether this trap will be generated."

 

The servers I have in OME seem to be giving me full information, so there is no problem with them. I just connected OME to them via iDRAC username/password and it pulled in everything beautifully.

 

I'm not an expert at SNMP and I've had trouble wrapping my head around it and setting it up in the past, and this is like round 4 for me. I am hoping someone can take a look at what I have configured to see if I'm missing something or doing something I shouldn't. I have been reading through the Dell N series user manual and CLI guide, but it's still confusing. I don't really have support right now and I'm a bit stuck. Again, the SNMP seems to be working to a degree, but I am still missing a lot of information.

 

I am also hoping to be able to do firmware upgrades and pull configs on the switches through OME, so I'm really striving to get this working.

 

Can anyone help me with my config, if that's even the issue?

 

Here are the SNMP lines contained in two of my Dell switch configs:

 

Building 1 - Dell N3048P:

snmp-server engineid local 800003a202e4f00437f356 snmp-server community "catfood" rw snmp-server host 192.168.1.95 "catfood" snmp-server enable traps dvmrp snmp-server enable traps pim snmp-server enable traps captive-portal snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-auth-failure snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-connect snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-db-full snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-disconnect 

 

Building 2 - Dell N3048P:

snmp-server engineid local 800003a233f3b156407df4 snmp-server community "catfood" rw snmp-server host 192.168.1.95 "catfood" snmp-server host 192.168.1.22 "catfood" snmp-server enable traps dvmrp snmp-server enable traps pim snmp-server enable traps captive-portal snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-auth-failure snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-connect snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-db-full snmp-server enable traps captive-portal client-disconnect 


No comments:

Post a Comment