Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Windstream as a 3rd string transit peer...

I know Windstream (Paetec/USLEC legacy) is not thought of highly... But I got a really great quote for a 10G circuit from their wholesale team. I would be using it as a 3rd string peer, so its mainly for extra capacity if needed, extra redundancy, and some extra buffer space during a DDoS.

I know their BGP is terribly managed, so I would filter what they send me (partial routes, filter <= /24). I've heard they let customers announce anything, and do little internal filtering, they even allow /28's and crap like that, etc.,.

Is this circuit a potential hidden nightmare? It would be on a 2 year term. Legay wise, I believe its running on Cavalier fiber - thats the legacy footprint Windstream acquired in my telco building.



No comments:

Post a Comment