Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Simple/free 802.1x solution?

I'm looking to find a simple 802.1x solution. The intent is to possibly replace (or augment) the need for Port Security and for the client devices to authenticate with a RADIUS server before being given access to the network. What I'd like to avoid is some sort of big software suite that provides not just 802.1x but a bunch of other features that I won't use. My understanding is that Cisco ISE is more than just a simple 802.1x solution.

I was also told once that 802.1x can reconfigure the VLAN that the port is a member of based on which devices (identified by MAC Address?) get plugged into it. I'd like to know if this is true.

For example, if some person decided to switch desks and they disconnect their PC and VoIP phone from their current port and move to a different location and the guy plugs the VoIP phone into a port that would normally be defined on a different VLAN, 802.1x would authenticate the phone and then change the VLAN membership of the port to remain in the voice VLAN. Is that a typical feature of 802.1x? Is this something that FreeRADIUS can provide?

I'm already using TACACS+ (free tac_plus solution) for AAA of network hardware (switches and routers) but it doesn't have any 802.1x capabilities. Thanks for any comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment