Thursday, October 4, 2018

Requesting Explanation about vlan tagging/architecture

Hello,

I recently started a new job. I noticed on part of the network where the ISP hands off the connection to us that its setup a little odd or I'm just not normally used to seeing this. The layout is as such,

ISP Cisco 4000 series Router > Data Center Cisco 3550 switch > My Cisco Switch in my locker at the data center.

On the Data Center switch, the vlan on the local interface and the interface on my cisco switch are 50

On my cisco switch, the vlan on the local interface is 50 and on the downstream switch that comes back to my server room the interface is on vlan 20. Vlan 20 is my ISP vlan we have designated on my internal network to bring those public IP's to the firewalls.

My question is, is this a normal way to hand off/trade vlans from 1 carrier to another or from 1 carrier to an internal network? Is there a better way of doing this? Would this cause any issues?

Let me know if you need more details. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment