Thursday, October 4, 2018

Replacing VTP Server (and updating vlans). Are all vlan IDs created equal?

I will be replacing all of my L3 switches (VTP Servers) at the same time. They currently have vlan databases that need some serious pruning (1000+ unused vlans etc). What is the best way to replace these and still have my access switches work? I'm running VTP v1.

My current plan is:

  1. Create new VTP domain on each L3 switch
  2. Create only the needed vlans on each
  3. On every access switch, change VTP Domain to new domain
  4. Replace L3 switch.

Would I need to also change my access switch VTP modes to Transparent before step 4, and then back to client after the replacement?

Will this plan even work? I don't have what I need to really test/simulate this at the moment but it also seems like there might be an easier way?

For clarity, all access switches are Cisco 3850s, old L3s are Cisco Nexus 5ks, new L3s are Cisco 9300/9500s.

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment