Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Problems connecting to work network from home compared to other wireless networks.

Hello, I was recently hired for a company which provided me with a laptop and supports working from home on occasion. To connect to the internal work network, I must connect to the internet and use Pulse Secure.

For some reason, when connecting to my router (wireless or wired) from home, and then connecting via Pulse Secure, when I do a tracert on a work domain I get a 92.XX.XX.XX IP. After talking with my work, this is their 'external' gateway and has restrictions on what I can do. It will timeout trying to connect to databases, things like that.

If I hard wire directly into my Verizon modem and do the same tracert, I get a 10.XX.XX.XX IP, which is the correct internal gateway I need to use. I can do all my work with no issues this way.

I have a backup wireless router and tried both to replace my main router and saw the same issue on both. I even reset my bakup router to its factory defaults and saw the same issue.

Lastly, I went to Starbucks and connected to their wireless network and got the correct internal gateway, so I believe that narrows the issue down to my router.

I'm a novice at best when it comes to networking and how DNS lookups work. Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment