Friday, October 26, 2018

Out of band console connection without analog phone line?

We've been using US Robotics modems and analog phone lines and DB25 to console cables to provide out-of-band access to our routers for years, but the costs of the analog lines keeps going up. I got my hands on a Verizon Wireless NOVT2000 (wireless home phone) device that works for basic phone line and fax service. I dial into it, then my US Robotics modem is connected to the 'box' instead of an wall jack. It works and I can connect, but I get tons of line noise / data corruption across it even though I've got great LTE signal. The device is supposed to provide "G3" fax functionality, but is not working well with terminal mode from our dialer and I'll be sending it back.

Are any of you using any kind of LTE based device for out-of-band console access? I'd be ok w/ something where I could set up a static IP w/ the carrier and SSH into it, but I'd really prefer something that presents a phone number I could dial into for access since we have a vendor/partner that needs dial-in access for first-response monitoring of the devices.

Any recommendations that you've actually used?

Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment