Thursday, October 4, 2018

Configure Unique SSID per band with Sonicwall/Sonicpoints

Hello all, I would like to know if it is possible to create different SSIDs per band using sonicpoints. (I know you could configure band steering, already have, but I have been tasked with this specifically).

So what I have currently is two SSIDs with two respective VLANs, a "Staff" and "Guest". All is well, except I would like have a "Staff" using 5Ghz only and a "Staff-2.4" on 2.4 only. (Guest unchanged)

I have tried to do this by creating a new VAP profile "Staff-2.4" and a second VAP group. 1st group contains "VAP-Staff" and "VAP-Guest" with their respective SSIDs. 2nd group contains "VAP-Staff-2.4" and "VAP-Guest" and their respective SSIDs. My ideas was to (under base settings > SonicPoint / SonicWave Provisioning Profiles) configure Radio 0 Virtual AP group (ie 5ghz) to use the first VAP group and Radio 1 Virtual AP group (ie 2.4ghz) to use the second VAP group (there are drop down choices for each).

However when applying the change I get a warning stating that "same vap groups should be used in dual band" and the change does not apply.

Does this mean that the configuration I am trying to achieve is not possible/allowed by the Sonicwall? Or am I just going about it the wrong way?

Any if any Sonicwall pros could confirm/deny then I would be most appreciative

[Using Sonicpoint ACi's and an NSA 2600 running 6.5]



No comments:

Post a Comment