Saturday, October 6, 2018

Best router under $1000 - unpopular opinion

I have the purchased a Ubiquiti Edge Router 4 and have had a horrible experience with it for the past 2-3 months. I work in the network industry and had been looking for a router that does 1gb+ throughput, I decided to go with the ER4 based on research, collective conversations and public opinion. I bought the full stack, 2 - AC Pros, 1 - 48 port Sw, 1 - 24 port POE sw and 1 - ER4 router. Straight out of the box with no customization it was very fluid and easy to use, when I started using it in a more aggressive environment it just flopped. I thought maybe I was being a cynic due to working with Cisco equipment and the ease of use. My buddy also bought one... sure enough he had problems with the ER4 straight out of the box, clunky GUI, wouldn’t take simple DHCP server config. After a few reboots ended up Bricking his router. He exchanged it for another one and had a little better luck, albeit the CLI was the best way to achieve any type of customization. We could have the exact same configs and it could work with one router and not the other. That being said I’m looking for a 1gb+ throughput, hardware heavy, and full customization with openvpn, high bandwidth, 4 ports minimum, radius capable, SDWAN capable with bandwidth aggregation.



No comments:

Post a Comment