Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Am i crazy or what? Networking creating network diagram.

A little of backgroud on our company. I am a CCENT R&S certified. And my coworker is a MCSA certified. My boss is a CCNA and CCNP certified.

Current time: I just got hired 2 months ago. And we are a MSP. My boss wants me to create a network diagram for all sites. I said "sure, cant be that hard".

I look into the notes for each client, and there is a terrible network diagram for each client that my boss created. The diagram didnt use cisco networking icons, it looked like it was images pulled from google images.... No notes for interface, No notes for dhcp range, Very few notes op ip addresses for servers and router. You cant even tell what device is each in his diagram.

Keep in mind that he has a CCNP and doesnt even know when and where or why to use a /30 ip address. He most likely bought the cert.

Most of the networks on the clients sites are ROAS, and no redundacy what so ever.

So i started drawing the diagram in draw.io. I focused on my diagram being simple and super easy to read. Following the Roas style. Firewall/router at the top, switch at the bottom and the rest below and to the side of the switch.

He comes over to me and says my diagram looks ugly....

I told him, it supposed to be easy to read and understand not look pretty.

Than my coworker comes over and tells me not to use Cisco device icons ( idk what they are called) But to use pictures of the actual devices so he can understand it. I told him that my way is easier to understand because its a standard. But he said we dont have cisco devices on sites, so i should not use cisco icons to represent each device based on the job it performs.

I dont even know what to say.

Am i wrong?

Did i study wrong my CCENT???

I am starting to question if what i know is right or wrong....



No comments:

Post a Comment