Tuesday, October 23, 2018

2 NAT statements for the same public IP address - fundamental network question

This might be a strange question but let's say I have a webserver that hosts a website.

Internally this website is 172.28.250.2 and lets say I have a NAT statement on my firewall to resolve this to some public IP address of 67.x.x.67 for customers to hit from the outside.

Let's say the URL to this website is www.abcd.com and now I want to add a second url that goes to this same website as well lets say www.dcab.com ( I guess they would call this an ALIAS in DNS) so they would both go to the same website. Lets also say that these 2 URLs internally resolve to the same IP address of 172.28.250.2 as mentioned above, but the second url has a different public IP address lets say 68.x.x.68

Let's say I didnt have access to DNS to make the 2nd one resolve to the same IP address for customers on the outside to hit. As a backup plan, Is their a way that I could make a NAT statement on the ASA to take this new URL outside IP address also NAT against the 172.28.250.2 address. I believe that this is a fundemntal problem since now you probably can't have 2 different outside IPs resolve to the same internal IP...but maybe there is a trick here that I'm not aware of?



No comments:

Post a Comment