Friday, September 14, 2018

Whats the difference between a packet and a frame?

I'm learning networking in school, and I hope this is the correct subreddit to ask this sort of question.

In my textbook, the author defines a frame as: "basically a container for a chunk of data moving across a network. A frame encapsulates - puts a wrapper around - information and data for easier transmission. I like to visualize an imaginary table inside every NIC that acts as a frame creation and reading station. I see frames as those pneumatic canisters you see when you go to a drive in teller at a bank. A little guy inside the network card - named Nick, of course - builds these pneumatic canisters (the frames) on the table and then shoots them out on the wire to the central box... The frame begins with the MAC address of the NIC to which the data is to be sent, followed by the MAC address of the sending NIC."

A packet is described as: "containers called packets get created and addressed so they can go from one network to another. The Internet Protocol is the primary logical addressing protocol for TCP/IP. IP makes sure that the piece of data gets to where it needs to go on the network. It does this by giving each device on the network a unique numeric identifier called an IP address. An IP address is known as a logical address to distinguish it from the physical address, the MAC address of the NIC... For a TCP/IP network to send data successfully, the data must be wrapped up in two distinct containers. A frame of some type enables the data to move from one device to another. Inside that frame are both an IP-specific container that enables routers to determine where to send data - regardless of the physical connection type - and the data itself. In TCP/IP that inner container is the packet. But IP packets don't leave their PC home without any clothes on! Each IP packet is handed to the NIC, which then encloses the IP packet in a regular frame, creating in essence, a packet within a frame."

Ok, after typing that out I think I may have figured it out...

Basically, a frame is used to send data in between a single network. A packet is used to send data from one network to another, and then to a specific device on that network.

So in a real world example, I can think of it sort of like a pay check.

My boss could give the receptionist (NIC) my paycheck (data) and tell the receptionist to put it in an envelope (frame) with my name on it (MAC address), and then to find me and give it to me.

OR

My boss could give the receptionist (NIC) my paycheck (data) and tell the receptionist to put it in an envelope (frame) with my name on it (MAC address), put it in a box (packet) with my apartment address (IP address) on it, and then to take it to the post office (switch). Once the post office gets the package, it gives it to the mailman (wire) who delivers it to my apartment. My roommate (NIC) gets the mail, opens the box, sees there is an envelope for me, opens it, and gives me the paycheck.

Its kind of a weird analogy, but do I understand the concept correctly?



No comments:

Post a Comment