Wednesday, September 12, 2018

trunk between Cisco and Juniper Switch

im trying to get a trunk up between a cisco and a juniper switch.

Cisco currently only has one vlan, and a vlan interface IP of 10.44.10.5/24. I want to be able to reach the Juniper switch which will have an IP of 10.44.10.6/24. Im struggling to get my head around the logic of it thoigh on the Juniper side

Juniper is configured as below:

description "Uplink to lo-sw-04";

unit 0 {

family ethernet-switching {

port-mode access;

root@lo-sw-01> show configuration interfaces vlan.0

family inet {

address 10.44.10.6/24;

The Cisco is just "switchport mode access", with interface vlan1 ip address 10.44.10.5/24

What am i doing wrong?

EDIT: bad choice of words from me. I don’t need a trunk, I just want to be able to manage the juniper using an IP address. So what I want is just a link between the switches , in vlan1, that allows me to reach an IP address residing on the juniper

EDIT2: Resolved. The issue was in how Junos tags all traffic on a trunk by default, but Cisco does not tag native vlan by default. As the cisco switch only had one vlan it was also the native vlan. I enabled trunk on both sides, and put the following on my juniper config:

description "Uplink to lo-sw-04";

unit 0 {

family ethernet-switching {

port-mode trunk;

vlan {

members VLAN1;

}

native-vlan-id 1;



No comments:

Post a Comment