Thursday, September 20, 2018

Thinking of using snmp for monitoring/managing a project, would like some feedback...

So I'm not sure if this is a great idea or an idiotic one. I'm going to be working on a project involving distributed devices on vehicles, and am looking at putting in an overall RMM system. Each vehicle will have a few embedded systems on it, and each "site" will have a few vehicles and it's own mini datacenter. As we want to be monitoring and managing all the network infrastructure at the same time as the vehicles, I thought that instead of building an api for the vehicles we could use snmp. We only need to be collecting basic telemetry for this project, and sending simple instructions (go here, do this etc).

On a scale of 1-10 how dumb am I being? My main concern is not creating a huge amount of work down the line that I'm not anticipating at the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment