Friday, September 28, 2018

Team lead/managers - how do you split workload?

So I was just asked if I wanted a minion.

In my 20yrs I have been the guy (er, girl) who is jack of all trades, never says NO and despite being single mom to fairly young kids for 11+ years routinely have worked 80+ hour jobs as the norm.

My current record is the job that had to hire 8 guys to replace me. Lol.

Previous job I took company from <100 locations to 350+, went from managed firewall and mpls to sdwan, 1k circuits, palos, new WiFi, etc all while doing systems, storage, security, exchange, and all the vendor management and tier 2/3 support (while the “systems” guy collected tickets until I played secretary and cleared them)

I even “managed” my boss because otherwise shit slipped.

Finally the last 9m or so I was randomly given a mid level, 2 helpdesk promotions, and 2 entry level contract guys.

I wasn’t told or asked. Guys just showed up asking me what to do and I’m like who the eff are you?!?

Boss didn’t want to deal with them and hid in office so I started cross training them all, triaging tickets, and rotating circuit monitoring.

That’s my skill that surprised me most answer now because I pickup tech stuff easy, but I always thought I’d be a shit manager. Lol.

Current director just asked me if I’d be willing to manage a junior and I was like yeah cool, long as I get to do the work.

The question I have for anyone who has managed is how do you deal with smaller workloads? I’m used to an extreme workload and admittedly a bit of a control freak and a perfectionist (for myself)

I’d be awfully tempted to shift documentation, alert/monitor management, etc off on a underling and keep fun “fires” and hardware refresh type stuff for me. Lol.

I HAD to start handing off some stuff at the 350 site place but it was mostly dealing with cable guys to fix cables, pots, Wap replacements, and circuit monitor and outage stuff.

I was still doing 80% or shop level, and 100% of HQ and datacenter stuff.

Took 5 guys to kick me down to an average of 70hr weeks. Hahha.

I feel like (because I’d feel this way) giving all the shit work to a junior PFY would lead to a spork assisted suicide tho.



No comments:

Post a Comment