Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Sanity check: Network rework with 2x1G uplinks for access layer?

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since I've been mainly doing networking, right now I'm working more on the infrastructure side of things (VMware / Backup / Monitoring / Storage). At my old job, I was doing a complete rework of the network to up to date Cisco gear and every access switch, even a single 48 port, received a 2x10G LAG uplink to the distribution/core layer.

Now at my new job, where it's none of my business and I was not included in any of the meetings regarding concept, they went with a concept where single switches and sometimes even stacks with two 48 port switches only received a 2x1G uplink. They said, the partner they decided to go with for this project said that having 2x10G is completely overkill for every access switch and is only required in particular areas.

My issue with this is though: If my math did not let me down, a 48 port switch would only have 40 Mbit/s available per port, a stack with 96 ports would only have 20 Mbit/s available. That sounds simply insane to me, especially considering that the only limiting factors are the transceivers and they're not so much different in cost.

Can you tell me if this is actually a valid thing to do? Is that the correct way to save money? Because I really think it's not.



No comments:

Post a Comment