Saturday, September 29, 2018

PPPoE drops connection

Basically, the connection drops out all the time, I can't determine if the problem is on the ISPs end or mine.

The first time they set this connection up it was in much worse condition, the line kept dropping every hour or even less, sometimes the link was up for no more then 5 minutes then I lost connection again. Then I tried all kinds of troubleshooting to no avail. I called customer service, they eventually came, checked the wires on the poles outside, and in our house. They wired me to the master directly. Had the exact same problem, not even the slightest improvement. So naturally and pissed I called them again, this time they replaced my slave modem, and even the master outside, this provided a noticeable improvement but still didn't fix the problem. Now the internet goes out after 6 or 5 sometimes even up to 16 hrs of usage. I could sort of live with this, but let's be honest I cannot control when the connection can drop because it's completely random, sometimes the link went out every 30 seconds for instance. For playing online this is not the ideal connection either so I have to do something.

The ACT led on the slave modem goes off for 2-10 seconds, I lose connection, the led lights up again and after waiting sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes, the connection comes back. Sometimes the router realized that I don't have internet access and the light turns amber, even though the ACT on the modem is already solid green. This is where it gets weird, this type of connection drop happens rarely but still does happen. The modem shows the link is up, but I still cannot connect to the internet, the wifi doesn't work either.

I've tried bypassing the router as well when this happens and with a solid green ACT led, the windows troubleshooter sometimes showed me Error 651 or "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding" . I've tried bypassing the router in general and that didn't fix the problem either. I also tried Google's entering public DNS but neither did that.

If I have to call them again it would be a bit embarrassing for me, and I guess also for them since they cannot fix the problem. At this point I don't know what else is possible to do to improve the situation.

The routers system log when the internet goes out looks like this : https://imgur.com/6sYJJcm

And if the DNS server doesn't respond it looks like this : https://imgur.com/fanSzIX

Network settings on the router : https://imgur.com/a/kDYfM4y

Router : TP-Link Archer C50

Slave : AccEOC21

ISP : RCS & RDS or DIGI Romania (if it matters)

I'd like to clarify I do live in a small village in sort of the middle of nowhere but that shouldn't be an excuse.



No comments:

Post a Comment