Friday, September 7, 2018

New Job - Boredom

Guys,

Due to personal circumstances I recently took a job in another city for a medium size ISP as a project engineer - after having worked in the enterprise sphere for most of my career (around 7 years now)

I've been sat ever since I started, for around 2 weeks with absolutely nothing to do bored out of my skull, no formal induction process or overview of the network / architecture (the team dosent even sit together, its such a crazy setup - Im not actually sat with any networks guys, they don't even sit with each other!) - don't get me wrong I'm confident in my own ability and don't need my hand holding, I just don't get a real "Team" vibe as opposed to other jobs I have worked in

I have been creating my own network diagrams to get me up to speed via tracert's and looking at the config backups (as their current documentation is really poor, this is for my own sake the other guys seem to have the topology committed to memory so dont see the point) - its interesting to see the ISP side of things from an architecture perspective and can see potential to learn and I want to make a go of it.

I don't have any Tacacs logons yet so I cant inspect routing tables or run show commands on any equipment, I dont have local admin on my laptop so I cant even install any of the tooling I use, I dont really have anything to work on - my manager just keeps saying "oh you started at a bad time, we are in the middle of this big project" - I'm just sat like a piece of fruit, not really being engaged for anything ...

/rant



No comments:

Post a Comment