Friday, September 14, 2018

Issue Passing VLAN Traffic Over Trunk (HPE)

Hey guys, so I come from a Cisco background and unfortunately, we have mostly HP switches here in our environment. This was not an issue until a week ago, where my boss looked at my config and mentioned that I had it misconfigured, and now he can't get it back working either (I suspect he isn't well-rounded with VLANs).

I've got an HP A5500 (lets call this SW006) in my office that connects to an HPE 5510 (SW003) in the server room. There are more than the two VLANs I will mention, but I only need to pass traffic on both to get the rest working configured correctly.

VLAN 4 - main LAN

VLAN 20 - Server Management LAN

Originally, I had tagged SW006, eth 48 on both 4 and 20. The same config for SW003, port 18. Both these ports (48 and 18 respectively) were setup as Hybrid (before we knew that this was mainly used for the intent of VoIP). Was able to pass traffic on both VLAN's, no issue, with the rest of the ports on SW006 setup as untagged for how I wanted them.

Long story short, my boss tried saying that only the downstairs switch (SW003) needs to be tagged, and that my port 48 on SW006 be untagged. This obviously does not work, and he does not want to go back to tagging both ends...

So I call HPE for the correct config, and they mention both ends need to be set to trunk, as well as permit VLAN 4,20. Got it. Also, both ends have PVID of 4. With the config standing like this, I can pass my normal LAN traffic through VLAN 4, but for the life of me, I can't get traffic on VLAN 20 to pass over the trunk.

Can someone inform me of what I'm doing wrong and what I have misconfigured?

SW006:

[SW006]dis cur int GigabitEthernet 1/0/48

#

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/48

port link-mode bridge

port link-type trunk

undo port trunk permit vlan 1

port trunk permit vlan 4 20

port trunk pvid vlan 4

speed 1000

duplex full

SW003 (stacked):

[SW001]dis cur int GigabitEthernet 3/0/18

#

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/18

port link-mode bridge

port link-type trunk

undo port trunk permit vlan 1

port trunk permit vlan 4 20

port trunk pvid vlan 4

speed 1000

duplex full

#



No comments:

Post a Comment