Thursday, September 20, 2018

Having trouble understanding how these "out-of-line" firewalls are working in this network

I started a job at a large university a few months ago working with the network infrastructure team. I've mainly been doing more developmental work with some of the different network devices in the network. Recently, in between tasks, I've also been trying to "map out" the network in a way. Mostly because I've never worked in a big enterprise network like this and am trying to get a better grasp of how all the different devices and services work together to serve 50k+ users smoothly. I have been given some network maps that helped layout some things, as well as stuff like NetDisco, Nagios, and NetMRI to help see all our devices.

Anyways to get onto the real question, I've diagrammed out a simplified version of one 'branch' of the campus, and was hoping someone could shed a little light on to how these firewalls are actually doing anything for the campus LAN devices.

https://i.imgur.com/6cwADo4.jpg

I feel like it has something to do with the hundreds/thousands VLANs + device authentication, or something involving tunnels, but I'm not totally sure... I can try to provide more info about the network if needed, too.

Does anybody have examples or references, of use-cases where firewalls are installed like this in the network? Or some solid explanation for them being installed like this?

I'll probably ask at work tomorrow or next week if I am still unsure, but was hoping one of you fine folks here would be able to help too. Plus gives a bit of discussion here haha. Thanks! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment