Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Dealing with rogue DHCP server. Need recommendation for Wireless AP isolation and 48 port managed switch?

Hi guys,

The title says it all.

Tl;dr?

Need recommendation for 48 port managed switch that supports port isolation and/or dhcp snooping

Need recommendation for a wireless AC access point that supports device/AP isolation that doesn’t cause a double NAT (ie needs to prevent different guests devices on the wifi network from seeing/communicating with each other)

Thanks for your time.

I need a recommendation for a 48 port managed switch. My usage case is pretty simple. I’m wiring up a small hotel with 45 rooms, and I need to isolate each room / port from each other. The hotel is owned by a family friend and we’re trying to do this for a reasonable cost.

Additionally, I need a recommendation for a good wireless access point. I’ve been dealing with several rogue dhcp servers on the public wifi, and when I went to enable “AP Isolation” on the Netgear R700 access points, the option was greyed out as apparently client isolation is only supported when the device is in router mode. I would like to avoid the double NAT issue caused by putting the wireless AP into router mode. What would you guys recommend for isolating wireless clients and preventing inter device communication that won’t cause a double NAT?

The main router is an OpenBSD 6.3 firewall/DHCP/DNS server. All I really need is a way to isolate the different guests untrusted devices from each other, so that we can avoid the dhcp nightmare we’ve been dealing with. Several times a week we get complaints that “the wifi is down”, even though it isn’t. Turns out their device is trying to pull a 192.168.1/24 address even though we use a 172.27.27/24 subnet. The hotel has multiple long term tenants and I’m sure one of them has some sort of rogue DHCP server running.

Any recommendations or insight would be much appreciated



No comments:

Post a Comment