Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Cisco WLC and AP help

I've never had to set up WLC in my life until this week so I apologize in advance if this question is stupid BUT does a WLC need its own management VLAN or can I use my regular management vlan? I'll try to explain the set up as best as I can.

Core switch has a management Vlan 50 (10.50.50.x). I created a wireless vlan 100 (10.50.100.x) for the data. On the WLC I make the management vlan 50, the same as on my core switch. Connect the WLC to the core via trunk. Now when I try to get the AP to join the WLC, it gives me an error message saying something among the lines of wrong subnet/IP. The AP receives the correct IP from DHCP (10.50.100.5 in this example) and unless I tell the AP to send out a unicast to the WLC, it will not join.

What would be Cisco best practice in terms of setting up the WLC and AP? Should I create a separate management vlan for wireless (for example vlan 110 10.50.110.x) and have the AP and the WLC on that vlan?



No comments:

Post a Comment