Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Cisco Wireless question about client disassociation

So something I've been noticing a lot when attempting to troubleshoot clients through Prime Infrastructure... a lot of wireless clients seem to disassociate fairly frequently and then immediate associate again... usually to a different AP. The association history in Prime for the client ends up looking like a repeating wave between three APs. The durations between association times usually seem to always be around an a factor of 5 minutes... so 15 min 14 sec, 10 min 14 sec, 25 min 39 sec, 1 hr 10 min 55 sec, etc.

I've been wondering what this is about and how it probably affects the end-user experience. My assumption is it is disruptive due to the client having to move between APs... so anything real-time and/or latency sensitive like video chat or online gaming might be affected. I figured at first it may be due to a system default of 5 minutes on the User Session Idle but I adjusted it up to an hour and didn't see a noticeable difference. DCA is currently set on an interval of 10 minutes and I have EDRRM on so it seems like it wouldn't always happen in a factor of 5 between changes.

I can see a ton of RRM events for 2.4ghz, so many so that Prime is saying there are to many unique events per device, so I think I may need to tweak 2.4ghz RRM sensitivity down but the clients I'm seeing are also 5ghz which doesn't have nearly as much of an interference or co-channel utilization issue at our location and no where near the number of events.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this or is this just normal?



No comments:

Post a Comment