Thursday, September 20, 2018

Can I use a passive fiber splitter to daisy chain a pair of dark fiber.

I'm going to lease a pair of dark fiber 11 miles long to connect 3 sites. It is 9 miles from my NOC to site A and then 1 mile from site A to site B. So the fiber pair will connect a switch at my NOC to a switch at site A and then from that switch at site A a pair of fiber to a switch at site B. In this config however if power goes down at site A it takes down site B.

So I'm wondering. As long as I use two different wavelengths (say 1310 between NOC and A and 1550nm between NOC and B) can I put a passive splitter in at site A that splits the fiber from the NOC so that site A is in one side and site B is in the other. Then at the NOC have a splitter with the two different wavelength fsps ?

My thought being the passive splitter doesn't need power so if power goes out at A then B is still able to see the NOC.

Assuming this would work is 1310 and 1550 enough separation since both SFP's will see the light from the other SFPs. Will the splitters cause loss issues on an 11 mile link with 20km sfps ?



No comments:

Post a Comment