Friday, September 28, 2018

A curious situation

Alright, I want to first say that I don't know much about networking, and additionally I don't think this is the typical post to this subreddit, so I apologize. I live in a University affiliated apartment, which provides the University's WiFi. However, the rooms in this specific apartment don't have Ethernet access points. In the room there a ceiling-mounted Cisco wireless access point, Model # AIR-CAP1702I-A-K9, which is plugged into a typical Ethernet cat-5e wire. I disconnected the access point, and plugged my Tenda N300 wireless router into it, which resulted in a wireless connection with no access to the internet. I then plugged my computer into the Ethernet wire to get more information. The result was "Network 3, No Internet". Originally I was trying to install my own wireless network so that I could work on my software projects involving smart home electronics, but now I'm genuinely curious how an Ethernet wire can provide connection to this Cisco wireless access point, but no other devices. I've got the network connection details from my PC if they are necessary to provide. Also, I've googled extensively but I think I just don't understand enterprise networking enough to even phrase the search.



No comments:

Post a Comment