Wednesday, September 26, 2018

4 Fiber lines murged into 2 bigger fiber lines?

So I ran into something while I was going through our DC.

We have 2 separate cages in our DC, that are connected with a inter-dc link. This link is run over 4 strands of fiber to a patch panel in each cage. From the patch panel, these 4 2-strand cable run out individually, and then in the cable run are then merged into two thicker fiber cables (same on both sides) and then is delivered into one port of each of our Nexus 5k core switches. I've never seen this kind of in-line fiber merge before.

They are terminating on N55-M4Q cards in the Nexus (QSFP+ card), and each has 2 active channel/connections. Logically this all make sense, I've just never seen fiber merged on the fly like this previously.

I'm curious, is something like this normal?



No comments:

Post a Comment