Friday, August 3, 2018

Wireshark Novice

So I downloaded wireshark onto my laptop because i'm learning about networks and internet and I was given a task that has to be done through wireshark.

So what the task is about is basically getting a screen capture of DHCP and ARP packets , in other words traffic generated by DHCP (acquisition of the IP address from the DHCP server)

These are the steps ive done to try get a screen capture of it

1)So ive cleared the arp cache

2)Then I use ipconfig/flushdns in the command prompt

3)Then I start wireshark analyser (should I use wifi or lan interface ?)

4) Should I do something with filters to eliminate background traffic ? because when I run wifi interface I get a lot of different packets

5)I use the fliter bootp||arp , but only get arp packets , its not until I start using command prompt and type in ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew that I get DHCP packets

Note I should be getting DHCP packets first and then ARP packets

Can anyone give me any suggestions



No comments:

Post a Comment