Wednesday, August 22, 2018

What is the lifespan of core routers?

There are a few different aspects of lifespan, all of which I am asking about. There are warranties, last patch dates, and dates of last support from an OEM perspective. And then just how long will the hardware do what it is designed to do (assuming it has a stable, recommended physical environment). Can anyone give me some insight to these timelines?

My underlying motivation to ask is that my company replaces core routers every 5 years at every branch. This surprises me, it seems wastefully aggressive. My thought process is that if OEMs are charging (ten)thousands for hardware with 2013 technology and manufacturing processes, it would be crap hardware if it had to be replaced in 2018.

A related question is, are partial refresh of hardware components a better strategy? I have limited background in the networking world but I know it's ordinarily highly cost effective to swap individual PC parts.



No comments:

Post a Comment