Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Synolgoy |WD Gold Drive - Bonded Gigabit vs SFP+?

Hey everyone, I am looking at creating a datastores via iSCSI/ LUN on my Synology server that is furnished with Five 4TB WD Gold drives which have 128mb cache built in.

From what I have read [I think I am correct], these drives have a sustained read/write of 249MBps.
(https://www.storagereview.com/wd_gold_hdd_review_8tb). With that being said, I SHOULD upgrade my Synology's available PCI-e slot with a 10GB SFP+ adapter or would my bonded Cat6 cables suffice?

Given the gigabit speeds being only 128Mbps, I believe I should upgrade to SFP+ (even though it would be overkill, it would place the bottleneck back on the spinning drive instead of my ethernet). Just asking for confirmation.

Thank you for your help!


Sidenote: I know the bonded 4 ethernet cables will not increase my speed, just allows more concurrent connections without bottlenecking. Just seeing what you guys think.



No comments:

Post a Comment