Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Router help for small business / public wifi

I'm working with a small business that has about 5-10 wired clients on a basic switch, including some HD video streaming. I've set up two TP-Link access points for wifi, with a public wifi and a private one. The private one probably gets peak 20-30 clients, and the public one can get up to 100-200.

All of this has been running on a modem/router/wifi combo from the ISP just with the wifi part turned off, but I have no access to the router settings and we're having them replace it with a newer modem.

We're adding some server hardware soon so I want to upgrade the router and get a better setup. Unfortunately I'm not super experienced with networking, but I am a software engineer and can typically figure stuff out. So i'm looking for something relatively simple to set up, or at least manageable. What do you guys recommend for this type of setup?

I also wanted to ask about how to best set up QoS and a firewall. I'd like all wired clients to take priority over all wifi clients, and i'd like to isolate the public wifi from the rest of the network and have stricter firewall rules on it. Is this something you would set up VLANs for? Could someone give me a super quick overview of what that should look like?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment