Thursday, August 2, 2018

prioritizing gotomeeting traffic with Meraki gear?

Already posted this in r/meraki but haven't received any feedback. Figured I would try here. Thanks for your time.

Good day,

Some good upfront info:

Each LAN is purely wireless from a client perspective! Yes, you read that correctly, no Ethernet connections for laptops so alllllllllll of this GTM traffic has to traverse the (dense) wifi network. I have advised mgmt that this is not best practice and will cause issues such as these.

Also, ALL of the applications we use are hosted in the cloud!!! Yep! This setup makes for some fun....

Equipment at each site: (2) MX250, (2)MS350-X, (X) MR53 APs....

The enterprise network that I manage currently consists of 6 locations that all use Meraki (MX/MS/MR) gear. Each location has two isp connections for redundancy. The problem I have been tasked to fix is "voice quality issues with gotomeeting", which is what we use for voice and video collaboration. I do see that Meraki has some application layer functionality and is able to identify certain traffic at layer 7 such as Skype, and give it priority over other kinds of traffic. My goal here is to prioritize GTM traffic so that it is treated with priority on the local network(s), as I know QoS markings are typically not honored by ISPs and will be stripped upon entry into their network. What, in your experience/opinion is the best way to go about this? I am thinking that since I do not have the layer 7 functionality to identify GTM traffic, I'll have to settle for using domain names, UDP/TCP port numbers, and potentially even IP addresses to identify the traffic. What do you guys think? I am considering marking GTM traffic with a GPO at the OS level and then configuring upstream switches to trust ingress marking. I think that might help a little. I hope it does. That's really all I'm left with considering GTM does not mark for qos and I am using just a regular old internet connection which ignores qos settings anyways, so I feel like all I can really do is tweak the LAN side here. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Derek

Edit: I have already made a "wish" that Meraki come up with application signatures to identify GTM traffic at layer 7

Edit 2: I was thinking I'd mark traffic in both directions, on egress at AP, and ingress at MX. That way at least GTM is prioritized on the LAN. Hopefully that will give me some room to breathe.



No comments:

Post a Comment