Friday, August 10, 2018

Outdoor ethernet termination box or patch panel?

Hi,

They're about to redo the siding where I work and I was notified I need to "fix the wiring situation" at several locations around our building... over the years, everyone (security camera installers, telephony, alarm/access control, WISP, etc) has been drilling holes to pass individual wires through our outdoor walls, usually doing a terrible job at plugging it with caulking, and in some places there's a dozen+ wires sticking out the wall like it's growing hair. It looks like crap. And management doesn't want the new siding to have a ton of holes drilled through it. The siding company has no recommendations. Our wiring people just want to drill new holes for each able again like it currently is...

I was thinking of having something like a short PVC pipe passed through the wall, ending inside of a junction box mounted outdoors on the wall, and having some sort of weatherproof connector (screw on gland style? M12? Neutrik?) for each network port/cable. Ideally, I'd like something premade as I have at least ~10 spots where I would need termination enclosures, and I would rather not have to drill/machine each box by hand... I've found a bunch of NEMA/IP6x enclosures, some with knockouts for pipes/etc, but many of them don't have a knockout facing the wall to allow a pipe with wiring into the building...

Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations? Is there some other way of doing this I should be looking at? Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment